Transaction Tax Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $49,500 - $76,200 (Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on February 23, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
State, local, and other transaction tax responsibilities supporting an integrated energy company operating across the Midwest, Rocky Mountain States, and Arkansas. Primary tax types will include, but are not limited to sales, use, coal, CNG, Federal Excise, and franchise taxes/fees.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Sales, Use, and Other Tax Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for compliance process to ensure adherence with all state, local, and other transaction tax compliance requirements - including, but not limited to timely and accurate preparation, filing, and payment of tax returns and remittances; account reconciliations; ability to interpret tax laws to determine taxability or exemption of business transactions; ability to provide guidance relating to proper issuance and obtaining of tax exemption/resale certificates and documentation; and nexus determinations and compliance.
- Tax research and analysis of transactions, questions, and issues.
- Provide state, local, and foreign tax audit support.
- Responsible to initiate and maintain effective communication internally and externally, including governmental regulators.
- Other duties and special projects as needed.
- Maintain current knowledge of the applicable tax rates, rules, and regulations - effectively coordinate the implementation and communication of changes.
- Develop, maintain, and document compliance processes and procedures.
- Analyze business transactions, and when appropriate make recommendations that result in efficiencies in tax compliance.
- Participate in cross-training to ensure backup function is in place for all state, local and other transaction tax compliance.
- Explore technology options and solutions, and when appropriate make recommendations of solutions to optimize use of resources.
- Positively support, develop and maintain good working relationships with all internal corporate services and business unit personnel.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all governmental authorities, including examination personnel.
- Minimum of 3 years of tax experience in public accounting and/or industry experience.
- Transaction tax compliance experience is desired, but not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration (Finance or Accounting preferred) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fundamental understanding of general accepted accounting principles, general ledger, and financial statements.
- Ability to assist with tax examination process.
- Requires strong organizational skills; high energy and ability to multi-task, prioritize, and complete projects in a timely manner; attention to detail; ability to function both independently and in a team environment; strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to interpret tax laws, rules, and regulations.
- Experience with Research Institute of America (RIA) or other tax research tool is desired.
- CPA desired, but not required.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer