Transmission Planning Engineer I, II or Senior
PAY RANGE: The pay range for this position will be $53,900 - $93,800 based upon the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Apply electrical engineering principles and technical knowledge to ensure the transmission system serving Black Hills Corporation’s utilities is planned and managed to provide efficient, reliable service to BHC customers. Perform the necessary computer simulations required to study and evaluate the electric transmission system to establish short-term and long-term transmission development plans in compliance with all applicable reliability standards. Perform transmission planning studies in support of BHC Electric Utilities FERC-approved Open Access Transmission Tariffs.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Transmission Planning
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform and document power system studies associated with system reliability, transmission and generation interconnection requests, load additions, and power transfer capabilities.
- Provide recommendations and support to management and other departments regarding present and future requirements of the transmission system.
- Support the development of standard practices, procedures and guidelines for planning and operating the electric system in compliance with all contractual agreements and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and maintain transmission, generation, and load data for WECC base case development.
- Create and validate equipment models used in planning studies.
- Participate in regional and sub-regional planning group meetings – NERC, WECC, WestConnect.
- Support full compliance with all applicable FERC, NERC and WECC requirements.
- Assist and support other transmission planning activities and projects within the department.
- Conduct research to maintain proficiency in areas of responsibility in order to provide sound recommendations.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders, coworkers and customers.
- 2 or more years of experience in electric utility transmission planning or operations preferred.
- Experience with PSS/E power flow and dynamics simulation software or equivalent is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Engineering discipline emphasis in Power Systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Bulk Electric Systems and electric utility functions.
- Knowledge of FERC, NERC, and WECC policies, procedures and standards.
- Ability to plan, organize and complete assignments as scheduled.
- Ability to communicate verbal and written technical information effectively, including public speaking.
- Ability to prepare technical reports.
- Software programming skills.
- Professional Engineer certification or ability to obtain preferred.
- Travel to Company locations, professional conferences, and other industry meetings as necessary.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer.