Associate General Counsel
SALARY RANGE: $125,450 - $174,410
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on August 31, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
This position will provide direct support for the company’s gas and electric utilities and corporate services functions. This position will provide a full range of legal counsel and services company wide, ensuring compliance with laws, rules and regulations, and contractual arrangements, and otherwise support the corporation’s utility regulatory and business development activities.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Deputy General Counsel
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Investigate, research, and provide legal advice concerning a broad range of issues and circumstances which arise in the company’s day-to-day business activities.
- Provide management with legal support related to generation, natural gas and electric utility operations, regulatory concerns, and compliance, as well as support for corporate and administrative functions (e.g., corporate finance, IT, insurance, human resources, service contracts, real estate, etc.).
- Actively participate as counsel in state and federal regulatory dockets, including drafting of testimony and other pleadings.
- Provide legal support and assistance to the General Counsel.
- Provide management with legal support related to contract administration and performance, joint ventures and other strategic partnerships.
- Provide management with legal support related to acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other strategic partnerships, and development of company-owned operating assets and facilities.
- Draft and review legal contracts and documents for compliance with legal requirements and corporate interests.
- Draft and negotiate letters of intent; asset purchase agreements; stock purchase agreements and joint venture agreements; engineering, procurement and construction agreements; power purchase and sale agreements; coal supply agreements; and similar or related agreements.
- Develop, review and assist in implementing corporate governance and compliance procedures.
- Develop firm understanding of company’s strategic business values and objectives.
- Review and interpret legislation, rules and regulations ensuring company personnel are aware of and in compliance with applicable laws.
- Support litigation related activities including leading information collection efforts, drafting and reviewing pleadings and discovery, witness preparation, etc.
- Assist in the supervision of outside counsel on legal matters relating to gas and electric utility operations and regulatory affairs, with the goal of reducing outside legal expenses.
- Provide support for the legal department in extending advice and service to operating segments of the company.
- Support and comply with corporate policies, goals and objectives.
- Participate and represent the company in civic, professional and industry-related activities.
- Participate in legal department planning, project prioritization and administrative tasks.
- Supervise legal department staff, as assigned
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Develop and maintain professional effective working relationships with internal and external clients, and with regulators and commission staff.
- Ten to fifteen years of experience is the general level of experience required for this position. Job performance and past work experience are also factors.
- Juris doctor degree from ABA accredited law school is required.
- Depending on experience, preference may be given to individuals who have earned an MBA degree, or who have specialized accounting or finance experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of regulated business environment.
- Knowledge of general commercial and corporate legal support requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to distinguish relevant facts, assimilate and analyze facts, and apply legal techniques to resolve complex legal issues.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make decisive, sound judgments, taking responsibility for developing plans to achieve optimal legal and business solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and effectively prioritize work in progress.
- Proficient negotiation skills.
- Ability to be self-directed and exercise independent judgment.
- Possess unquestionable integrity and thrive in a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to oversee and supervise work of one or more members of legal staff, as assigned.
- Licensed to practice law in South Dakota, Wyoming, or Colorado. Will also consider applicants who are licensed to practice law in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, or Arkansas.
- Occasional travel may be necessary to other Company locations.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer