Vegetation Program Manager
SALARY RANGE: $75,000 - $97,530
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on July 30, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Direct and supervise the Vegetation Management Program for all Black Hills Corporation electric utilities in order to maintain the reliability and safety of BHC’s electric system related to vegetation while utilizing cost effective, sound arboricultural and environmentally responsible plans.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Asset Programs
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with management from each electric utility to develop and manage long-range plans and budgets for vegetation management.
- Oversee the work of staff members charged with day-to-day implementation of vegetation management program, including scheduling of patrols and completion of necessary remediation.
- Identify and implement internal controls necessary to ensure success of vegetation management program.
- Develop and provide metrics to evaluate productivity and quality of vegetation management program.
- Develop and administer contracts to use with external contractors.
- Respond to internal and external customer requests to ensure proper clearances required in BHC standards are achieved within each electric utility service territory.
- Develop and manage overall vegetation management budgets.
- Administer safety rules and positive safety culture to ensure BHC standards are met or exceeded.
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with county, city, state and federal organizations as well as landowners impacted by vegetation management work.
- Ensure compliance with federal standards.
- Establish policies and procedures governing completion of contract work and implement best practices to ensure compliance with BHC specifications.
- Coordinate with local electric operations to ensure resources are scheduled in the most efficient manner to achieve measured results within budget.
- Coordinate and conduct aerial patrols flights within the service territory.
- Support System Operations during after hour outage restoration and emergencies.
- Provide training and development opportunities for staff.
- Investigate vegetation-related outages and develop plans to minimize outages.
- Provide monthly reports to management.
- Regularly evaluate BHC standards to ensure compliance with governing requirements and the latest developments in arboricultural and vegetation management practices.
- Contribute to the creation of department budget and financial tracking activities associated with the vegetation management program.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all Company employees, including those in the regulatory, legal, electric operations, customer service and compliance departments.
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers and external contractors.
- 7 years of experience in utility vegetation management, forestry, and/or federal forestry services required.
- 5 years of experience supervising project work crews preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, vegetation management or related field required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of the Integrated Vegetation Management (IVM) principals.
- Familiarity with the National Electric Safety Code and other electrical system safety standards.
- Familiar with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standard FAC-003-3.
- Ability to prioritize work, plan and manage several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Exercise good judgment and make sound business decisions.
- Ability to effectively manage performance expectations.
- Team building and effective leadership skills across multiple locations.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that work effectively in both a traditional report structure as well as a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications.
- Ability to learn specialized workflow management software and maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to lead safe operations.
- Ability to obtain ISA (or equivalent) Certified Arborist within 12 months of employment.
- Must possess a valid driver's license or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- Travel within BHC’s electric utility service territories to support vegetation management operations is required.
- Occasional travel throughout BHC electric utility service territories to observe practices.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer