Staff Accountant I
SALARY RANGE: $41,500 - $54,030
Base salary will be determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on August 24, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Directly support the Accounting Manager, Accounting Supervisors, and Financial Managers in the accounting operations. Perform routine and special projects for operations and management and support functions including account reconciliations, classification and recording of accounting transactions, accounting analyses, preparation of reports and interpretation of accounting results.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Corporate Accounting Sr. Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the Accounting Department.
- Assist the Accounting Manager and Supervisors in the development and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures. Ensure that systems and procedures are in compliance with company policies, acceptable accounting practices, and applicable regulations.
- Present ideas for improving efficiency of duties to the Accounting Manager and Supervisors.
- Complete accounting analyses. Interpret the results and communicate to Accounting Manager and Supervisors.
- Respond to data requests quickly for rate cases, internal and external audit, financial reporting, etc. Ensure that information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Complete the reconciliations of general ledger accounts. Follow up on discrepancies and implement procedures to ensure adequate resolution.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of journal entries and upload and post journal entries to the PeopleSoft system. Document journal entry procedures.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the PeopleSoft general ledger system. Communicate all system deficiencies to the Accounting Manager or Supervisor. Perform adequate follow up/work with Accounting System team to ensure enhancements or fixes are properly implemented. Provide assistance as needed on any enhancements or upgrades to the systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager or Supervisors which could include special projects or providing support to other departments such as property or accounts payable.
- Support and assist the Accounting Manager, Supervisors and other staff in order to meet deadlines and goals.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all employees in the Finance and Accounting Departments.
- Provide support to other non-accounting departments as needed.
- Assist all levels of management and staff in interpreting the information produced.
- Work with the Accounting Manager and Supervisors in the development and training of yourself and other Accounting Department employees.
- 1-2 years of experience in an accounting related field preferred.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Business/Accounting required.
- Thorough knowledge of business and accounting methods and procedures including automated accounting systems.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- PeopleSoft knowledge is a plus.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and independently.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have strong computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- CPA certification desired.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer