Substation Engineer I, II or Senior
SALARY RANGE: $53,900 - $97,530
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on February 15, 2018.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Engineer and construct utility transmission and distribution substation facilities. Create specifications and design details for substation layout, foundation plans, equipment arrangement, and electrical construction. Oversee and manage the installation and upgrade of major substation additions and provide support to customer service and generation construction groups.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Substation & Protection Engineering
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engineer and design substation layouts and equipment upgrades.
- Create detailed foundation plans, material lists, and construction arrangement drawings.
- Manage electrical construction projects including contractor site work, major equipment installation, and substation maintenance activities.
- Design substation control systems, wiring diagrams, and cable details.
- Develop and coordinate equipment standards and maintenance procedures.
- Direct maintenance personnel in the installation, verification, and upgrade of substation operational and control equipment.
- Support system operations personnel during outages and emergencies.
- Assist and support the other engineering and maintenance activities within the department.
- Provide project management and administration activities for assigned work.
- Provide technical support and assistance to other utility working groups.
- Create and document regulatory compliance requirements and policies.
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of the department, business unit, and corporation.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial tracking activities.
- Perform other special work assignments as required.
- Perform work in a team environment and provide direct support to other utility operational groups.
- Establish professional relationships and work effectively with other departments, utilities, consultants, and government agencies.
- Supervise technical and craft personnel in installation and maintenance activities.
- At least one year of experience in the the design and construction of electric utility substations preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering required.
- Power systems emphasis preferred.
- Understanding of electrical substation design philosophy and equipment operation.
- Experience in construction management and project coordination.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Strong ability to document and track projects and work goals.
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan/schedule priorities and work plans for others.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or the ability to become registered is preferred.
- Requires limited travel within the utility service territory and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform work on or in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer