Gas Operations Technican
PAY RANGE: $19 - $26 per hour
Base pay is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on October 27, 2017.
LOCATION: Monument, CO
Safely performs general gas distribution system maintenance, operation and construction work.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Supervisor, Gas Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide recommendations on proper material type and size to accommodate load requirements and pressure.
- Insure proper location and installation of facilities such as service lines, mains and meter sets.
- Coordinates the location of other utilities underground facilities relative to construction activities.
- Proficient in underground line locating.
- Gas measurement, pressure regulation and over pressure protection installations.
- Above and underground leak classification and repairs.
- Install facilities according to specifications such as trench depth/width, proper auguring, plowing and shoring.
- Complete field drawings per company standards to include location sketch and proper material accounting.
- Perform hot line tapping of mains and services of various sizes and type by selection of proper equipment and using correct procedures.
- Perform leak repair on underground facilities using approved repair methods and materials based on type of sizes of mains and services.
- Perform pressure testing of facilities to ensure integrity and satisfy company and Regulatory requirements.
- Perform proper above grade corrosion control by application of recommended painting techniques and material, also below grade corrosion control and anode installation surface preparation and coating applications.
- Maintain familiarity with steel welding procedures to evaluate quality to meet company standard.
- Inspect and monitor construction activities of gas contract construction crews.
- Maintain certification and perform plastic fusion of mains and services and proper installation of mechanical fittings.
- General maintenance on facilities.
- Other duties as required.
- Maintain professional working relations with external and internal customers.
- Experience preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Comprehensive understanding of gas operating safety procedures.
- Familiarity of Black Hills construction standards and procedures.
- Ability to effectively prioritize projects and equipment needs while maintaining a rigorous construction activity schedule.
- A demonstrated mechanical ability, the ability to read and understand operation manuals and has a working knowledge of regulators, meters, and pipefitting and gas operations.
- Ability to remain calm and make effective spontaneous decision during emergency situations that may affect the safety of the general public, contractors and other employees.
- Effective customer interaction and resolution skills.
- Must be able to pass PE Fusion certificate.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Can meet the physical demands of standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, tasting/smelling, near and far acuity, depth perception, color vision and field of vision.
- Lifting - Occasionally 40+ lbs. up to 30 feet (rare); and occasionally side lifting.
- Lifting tools, equipment and appliances floor to waist, overhead, waist to shoulder.
- Prolonged loaded and unloaded forward flexion, extension, lateral flexion and rotation of the neck and spine are required.
- Reaching – occasionally above and below shoulder height.
- Ability to navigate uneven surfaces to and from vehicle and site work, transmission line patrol requiring walking distances up to miles in all terrains, in all types of weather.
- Must be adaptable to extreme temperature climates inside and outside.
- Ability to manipulate and grasp hand tools while in a repetitive motion.
- Ability to operate equipment.
- Ability to be fitted for a use of respirator.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer