Operations Technician (UN6407)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on January 16, 2018.
LOCATION: Lawrence, KS
Perform general gas distribution system maintenance, operation and construction work.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Field Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Gas measurement, pressure regulation and over pressure protection installations.
- Installation and pressure testing of PE and steel gas mains and services.
- Above and underground leak classification and repairs.
- Operate major equipment and tools including trenchers, back-hoes, and tapping and stopping equipment.
- Perform DOT Pipeline Safety functions and documentation such as pipeline patrolling, valve maintenance, corrosion control and leak survey.
- Read prints and maps, layout projects and fabricate work to meet Black Hills construction standards.
- Inspect and monitor construction activities of gas contract construction crews.
- Extensive experience in field gas distribution maintenance and construction activities.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Comprehensive understanding of gas operating safety procedures.
- Familiarity with Black Hills construction standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of gas odorization and meter and regulator sizing and installation procedures.
- Ability to effectively prioritize projects and equipment needs while maintaining a rigorous construction activity schedule.
- A demonstrated mechanical ability, the ability to read and understand operation manuals and has a working knowledge of regulators, meters, and pipefitting and gas operations.
- Ability to remain calm and make effective spontaneous decisions during emergency situations that may affect the safety of the general public, contractors and other employees.
- Effective customer interaction and resolution skills.
- Ability to attain a Class "A" commercial driver's license.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer