NERC Trainer & Compliance Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $85,100 - $118,280
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on January 24, 2018.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Develop, maintain, and administer an effective and thorough compliance and training program for new and existing Reliability Center System Operators. Ensure Reliability Center System Operators are trained to safely, reliably, efficiently, operate the electrical systems in full compliance with all North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) Standards.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reliability Center Senior Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain a System Operator training plan for new and incumbent System Operators in full compliance with all NERC and WECC Standards.
- Develop and implement plans, schedules, procedures, tools and processes required to establish and maintain a comprehensive Reliability Center compliance program to support the BHC NERC Compliance Program to ensure full compliance with all applicable NERC Reliability Standards.
- Work with the Reliability Center Manager and System Operator Supervisors to identify and schedule individual system operators’ out-sourced training events.
- Document and track all System Operator training events and earned NERC Certified Continuing Education Hours (CEH) to insure all System Operators obtain the required number of CEH’s as required to maintain their NERC Certifications.
- Develop and provide individual learning activities to NERC for identified BHC internal training courses.
- Provide intra-departmental technical support to Engineering, Generation Dispatch/Power Marketing and other departments as required.
- Develop, implement, and communicate departmental and/or company programs, policies, and procedures to support safe and reliable operations.
- Monitor, track, and actively participate in BHC’s annual Reliability Standard Audit Worksheet (RSAW) review.
- Ensure all emergency operation plans and procedures are kept up to date and submitted annually to the Reliability Coordinator.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for improving operations, service methods and support procedures and processes.
- Annually attend a Train-the-Trainer event (or similar) to gather awareness of new training trends and techniques used by other electric utilities.
- Train/coach new System Operators to prepare them for the NERC Certification exam.
- Attend training events to obtain personal required CEH’s to maintain NERC Certification.
- Update Reliability Center Manager with new/changing NERC requirements and assist as needed in developing and revising procedures necessary to maintain compliance.
- Acts as source of “best practice” information and keep abreast of trends and issues to design, implement, communicate, and administer compliance training programs.
- Investigate and analyze compliance with standards, best business practices, and prepare reports for determination of an incident cause.
- Analyze incidents and emergency processes on an ongoing basis to determine areas needing special training, processes, procedures, or other assistance as required.
- Serve as a liaison with internal departments, other utilities, public agencies, and external organizations concerning standards, training and compliance.
- Coordinate with management, staff and supervisory personnel to accomplish organizational unit goals and objectives.
- Oversee Reliability Center’s response to audit findings, track action items and ensure required regulatory submittals are met.
- Collect, validate and report data related to NERC required reporting, BHC Transmission Performance Measures, and other assigned areas.
- Ensure that all requirements are met on assigned projects, including but limited to the following: the issuing of required reports, development of processes, tracking of project schedules against planned execution. Be the point of contact of assigned projects.
- Provide leadership and guidance for programs and processes in assigned area of responsibility that may have organization-wide impact.
- Collaborate with customers and/or other interested parties regarding technical activities of assigned area of responsibility.
- Maintain close working relationship with the Reliability Center, Operational Support Manager, and System Operator Supervisors to assist and support their activities with regards to NERC compliance, operational procedures and policies, projects, and training.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the NERC Compliance Manager in support of compiling compliance evidence, monitoring new and updated compliance standards and performing gap analysis.
- Coordinate with WECC, Rocky Mountain Reliability Corporation (RMPRC), Rocky Mountain Training Advisory Committee (RMTAC) and other applicable entities regarding regional training events, drills, etc. to meet training requirements.
- Interface with RMRC, RMTAC, RMRG, WECC, Peak, and other utility operations personnel as required.
- Five years of experience in transmission and/or distribution operations required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in formal or informal training role preferred.
- Experience with NERC/WECC Standard compliance and documentation preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of power system operations, bulk power systems, generation, transmission and distribution systems, Balancing Area operations, switching, and SCADA.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated strengths in tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Ability to obtain and maintain NERC System Operator Certification within eight months of employment required.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer