Lineman Apprentice (UN111)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on January 24, 2018.
LOCATION: Cheyenne, WY
The position of apprentice shall be a person who has the desire and aptitude to become an Electric Lineman through self-study and on the job training. The apprentice will work under qualified Electric Linemen to learn the safe installation/rebuilding of overhead and underground power line installation and the operation of heavy equipment including bucket trucks, digger derricks, cranes, pulling and excavating equipment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Supervisor Electric Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Learn and demonstrate proficiency on all types of line and service work according to company standards and procedures.
- Must be capable of learning to do overhead and underground line service work.
- Will be required to work safely and follow all safety practices.
- Must be able to become a proficient climber.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must work in compliance with all OSHA requirements relative to the Lineman position.
- Ability to interact with other Company employees, contractors and the general public in a professional manner.
- Previous experience, knowledge or training with the electric utility industry is beneficial and preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must pass all apprenticeship lessons according to FJAC apprenticeship standards.
- Must be able to pass the examination as required by the FJAC apprentice committee at the end of the training period.
- General construction and utility operations.
- General equipment and machinery operations.
- Strong personal safety record and knowledge of safe work practices.
- Motivated, self-starter than can work independently or as part of a crew.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer and smart mobile device skills and have the ability to learn new technology.
- Positive attitude, agility, and willingness to learn new process and procedures.
- Detailed oriented with great organizations skills. Have the ability to successful manage multiple projects and deadlines at one time.
- Customer Service focused.
- Mushave a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain and maintain as a condition of employment a valid Wyoming Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License within 60 days.
- Must live within 30 minutes and 30 miles of the service center.
- Must be willing to work overtime.
- Must be able to travel on a minimal t basis.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
- Requires the physical ability to lift and move 50 pound objects.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time on a pole or on the ground.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather conditions with extreme temperatures, for extended periods of time.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, kneeling, crawling and squatting to access tasks.
- Ability to forward bend, overhead reach and complete elevated work to steady poles, use equipment and access tasks.
- Rotational sitting and standing to access work.
- Ability to twist while standing and kneeling to access task.
- Gripping and pulling with both hands up to 120lbs of force.
- Hand-eye coordination, lifting, one arm carry, overhead lifting and reaching, repetitive wrist twisting motion.
- Must have acute vision with or without correction. Ambulate varying terrains, surfaces and elevations and work with color codes.
- Ability to pull downward, horizontal, overhead reach and downward vertical.
- Upper extremity coordination to prepare materials for installs.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer