Tax Specialist - Regulatory (Senior or Principal)
SALARY RANGE: $60,400 - $93,470
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on February 26, 2018.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
This position is responsible for handling a wide variety of tasks in order to interact with the Regulatory Department of Black Hills. Primary responsibilities include preparing all federal and state tax calculations and supporting work papers for regulatory filings. This position will also serve as the Tax Department point of contact with the Regulatory Department. This position will also support other functions within the Tax Department and other special projects with an ability to recognize issues, develop solutions and seek opportunities.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Income Tax Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Explain tax law implications to the Regulatory Department.
- Provide tax technical expertise in regulatory filings.
- Actively participate in Regulatory Department meetings.
- Provide written and verbal analysis of tax matters as requested by Regulatory.
- Accurately prepare tax related statements and schedules for the rate review model and obtain approval from appropriate Tax Managers.
- Provide thorough research and analysis and make recommendations to Tax Department management.
- Develop, maintain, and document processes and procedures. Effectively coordinate the implementation and communication of such changes.
- Provide timely updates to Tax Department management on regulatory activity.
- Responsible for effectively communicating with internal personnel in order to support regulatory compliance.
- Lead assigned projects and ensure optimal use of resources.
- Analyze business transactions, and when appropriate make recommendations that could result in a reduction of tax expense and efficiencies in compliance.
- Explore technology options and solutions, and when appropriate make recommendations to optimize use of resources.
- Assist the Planning Department when regulatory issues are involved.
- Provide support to other tax functions.
- Positively support, develop and maintain strong working relationships with all business unit personnel and corporate tax department.
- Minimum of 5 years tax experience or a combination of tax and/or accounting experience in public accounting and/or industry.
- Utility industry experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting.
- Solid knowledge of tax laws, preferably in the electric and natural gas industry.
- Fundamental understanding of FERC accounting, GAAP and financial statements.
- Strong organizational skills, high energy, attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to think strategically and to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Word Software.
- Familiar with Workiva and PowerPlan Software.
- Ability to assist with various tax related projects.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply tax laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to identify potential tax issues.
- Ability to interpret financial information.
- Experience with tax research tools helpful.
- CPA desired.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer