Manager of Federal Governmental Affairs
SALARY RANGE: $80,500 - $111,880
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on May 6, 2018.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Manage the federal governmental affairs policy and strategic legislative initiatives of Black Hills Energy (Black Hills) regulated electric and natural gas utilities and non-regulated business interests; represent company’s interests before congressional delegations, federal agencies and industry associations; assist in the development and execution of federal regulatory and state governmental affairs strategies; inform management and employees of business units of key legislative and public policy issues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Governmental Affairs Senior Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve the federal governmental affairs needs of Black Hills and its business units, under the direction of Senior Manager, Governmental Affairs.
- Develop and execute corporate federal legislative strategy in line with Black Hills’ business goals and objectives.
- Assist in the development of public policy positions and priorities of the corporation in shaping the company’s legislative agenda, working with business unit and other company leaders.
- Monitor and analyze federal legislation impacting Black Hills Energy and its customers; advise and inform company officials of issues and positions.
- Develop and propose legislation as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships and communication with congressional delegations and staff representing states in which Black Hills operates, key appointed officials, members of the Administration, and key federal regulatory agencies; serve as the primary liaison with the congressional delegations, working with Black Hills Governmental Affairs team and other company officials.
- Inform and influence members of Congress to support Black Hills’ positions, including through formal oral remarks in public meetings; briefings; written communication, and personal communication.
- Monitor key federal regulatory policies, recommend strategies and execute tactics to influence federal regulatory activity.
- Work with national and regional associations and other industry organizations to advocate for, develop and pass legislation in line with Black Hills’ priorities.
- Develop and maintain position papers on designated issues impacting Black Hills and its customers.
- Participate in the Black Hills Corporation Political Action Committee (PAC) and its operations, solicitation and distribution efforts; develop and execute strategies and tactics to meet PAC goals and objectives.
- Inform, educate, and engage Black Hills employees on key federal legislative, political, and public policy issues impacting the company.
- Assist in the execution of state governmental affairs plans as needed.
- Participate in corporate, and Governmental Affairs team functions and projects, including in partnership with Community Affairs and Corporate Communications.
- Manage other projects as necessary.
- Internal: Governmental Affairs, Senior Corporate Management, VPs of regulated and non-regulated business units, Communications, Community Affairs, Legal, Environmental Services, Regulatory Affairs, Customer Service, Information Technology, Tax, natural gas and electric engineering and operations and other internal subject matter experts.
- External: Congressional delegations and staff; federal administrative appointees, federal agency officials; other elected and appointed officials, and other policy makers; business and industry associations; national, regional, state and community leaders; grassroots organizations.
- History of successful lobbying efforts.
- Experience with congressional legislative process and other federal policy making.
- Minimum of five years experience working in governmental affairs, communications, public affairs or public relations.
- Experience in the energy industry preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of retail utility, electric, natural gas, natural resources, environmental, and other energy issues.
- Knowledge of energy operations and issues, and federal policy-making processes.
- Knowledge of congressional legislative processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal regulatory processes and procedures impacting the energy industry.
- Knowledge of congressional and state elective politics.
- Knowledge of federal and state governmental, political and economic characteristics.
- Personal drive, creativity, and initiative to create opportunities to influence public policy.
- Ability to analyze complex issues, interpret and communicate them in a concise, understandable format.
- Ability to influence legislative, regulatory and other governmental officials.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external peers and stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate Company positions to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and participate in internal and external project teams.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication and persuasive skills.
- Excellent analytical, persuasive, and communication skills.
- Dedicated team player and collaborator.
- Flexibility to travel frequently to Washington, DC, and as needed to Black Hills’ service territory locations, including the states of Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Commitment to meeting ethical business and personal standards.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer