Governmental Affairs Intern
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on April 20, 2018.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Assist with the corporate affairs, communications, governmental affairs policy and strategic legislative initiatives of Black Hills Corporation (BHC) regulated electric and natural gas utilities and non-regulated business interests; assist in preparation to represent company’s interests before congressional delegations and industry associations; support the community affairs team with communications plan development and implementation; support and assist various projects as assigned within the Company’s Corporate Affairs Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Governmental Affairs Senior Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in the development of public policy positions and priorities of the corporation in shaping the company’s legislative agenda.
- Research and create reports on energy policy issues.
- Schedule and attend PAC and grassroots meetings with business units.
- Schedule and attend meetings with legislators.
- Monitor and analyze legislation impacting BHC.
- Update legislative database.
- Assist in the planning events and functions as needed.
- Additional functions as needed.
- Maintain strong working relationships within (insert name of department) Department.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships with all Black Hills Corporation employees and departments.
- None required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Junior or senior preferred but not required. Must have major and/or interest in civics, communications, government relations, policy and/or politics.
- Knowledge of basic legislative process.
- Knowledge of energy industry at a basic level.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
- Participation in the Company’s Industry Orientation Experiences, which will include some travel.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer