GIS Technician Intern
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on April 20, 2018.
LOCATION: Fayetteville, AR
Support and assist with various projects as assigned within the Company’s GIS Support Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: GIS Support Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with GIS maintenance as directed by the GIS Support Manager and the GIS Technicians. This will include document research and interpretation, data entry, map production and field verification using GPS.
- Interpret as-built documentation and post using ArcGIS into the Esri GIS databases.
- Produce maps as required using Esri ArcGIS product stack.
- Quality check GIS mapping for accuracy and omissions.
- Collect GPS coordinates for facility as-builting and map accuracy maintenance.
- Provide support to all areas of GIS Support as requested.
- Maintain strong working relationships within GIS Support Department and field operations.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships with all Black Hills Corporation employees and departments.
- None required.
- College junior or above working towards Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering or a related field.
- Basic knowledge of GIS technology and Esri tools.
- Basic understanding of gas distribution and/or transmission systems is optimal but not mandatory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- None required.
- Participation in the Company’s Industry Orientation Experiences, which will include some travel and overnight stays.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer